Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Multi tasking

In this day in age, multi-tasking is a much used term and for most people, a necessary skill. Some, are born with that skill, some are not. Unfortunately, even though I do it all the time, I am not always very good at it.

There are times when thoughts of things to be done run through my head so fast that I find myself in the middle of the room, literally spinning in a circle on the ball of one foot, as one thought turns me left and the next thought spins me right. This is usually great entertainment for anyone who witnesses it, but other than that, it’s not very effective.

And I have to admit…………it happens a lot more often when I know for sure no one is there to see it.

When I finally do figure out which two things I’m going to attempt at the same time, they are not always a good fit, or maybe they fit well for me, but someone else just happens to be in the way.

Case in point…………..talking on the phone to someone about a job, noticing that a house plant has become bug invested……………NO problem……..keep talking, fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray away……………..

Really………. is it my fault that a certain other resident of the building who I am soooo not paying attention to at that moment, is sitting beside said house plant with a laptop and is fully in line with the spray. I say NOT………….he’s the one that gets so entertained when I do my spin, don’t know where the hell I’m going first thing, he should have seen that coming. Apparently he was not paying attention to me either.

Now someone who couldn’t have seem it coming was the good natured sales rep who, instead of putting me on hold while he looked something up for me, decided to stay on the line and chat ( multitask ) and while exchanging the kind of pleasantries that strangers do on the phone, idle chatter about the weather and such, I start to multitask too, and flick through some emails.

I get to one where there are 2 identical pictures and I’m supposed to find the 5 differences. This is easy, I can for sure talk and look at the same time right!? Well yeah………until I’ve got to the point where my face is 6" away from the screen and the ghoul pops up ( ya’ll know what kinda email I’m talking about here. )

Well, poor guy in Edmonton that still hasn’t found me the best product for the job, but is meanwhile explaining to me how they are having a Chinook right now, just about has a heart attack right now when he hears me scream like a banshee, knock the keyboard to the floor and drop the phone.

So multitasking at it’s finest here……

……….the guy grabs the phone next to him to start calling 911, while he ditches my product search and goes back to the "where the hell does this chick live" screen. Seriously, big kudos to this guy with the now broken eardrum for keeping it together long enough to do this. AND, for knowing enough to hit cancel when I finally find my heart, put it back in my chest, grab the phone from under the desk and start trying to explain to him that it was just a dumb email.

In the end I had to calm him down, poor guy thought he was starting out his day listening to a murder. I offered to send him the email so that he would know what happened…………….he declined.

And I’ll bet you he has become a big fan of the Hold button.

Now, every once in awhile, my multitasking mishaps do claim me as the victim.

Like today, I’m doing my regular morning 20 second primp and fuss routine ( hey, I live in the country and do reno’s for a living, and yeah OK, so it’s like 2 minutes at least, cuz the toothbrush comes with a timer, and realistically, would 50 minutes make me a different person…………well it might, but that person would seriously freak out the chickens and be forced to wear oh sooo the wrong footwear when going to clean out the coop ) Anyways, as usual, during this time I’m also giving the bathroom a wipe down, so one hand working on me, one on the bath. Brush, wipe, wash, organize, moisturize……………and then grab the peroxide to spray/whiten my teeth. Now this really does work ( try it ) unless of course…… you grab the hairspray by mistake!!

…………fruity, somewhat sticky, no foaming action to let you know it’s working, but I’m still alive and my teeth have not turned florescent or fallen out.

I’m still calling it a win

No comments:

Post a Comment